To wrap up this week, I’m sharing with you a fragrant and creative recipe from NYC bakery Ovenly. This is the first recipe I bake from the Ovenly cookbook and it definitely veers off path from the typically sweet and buttery cupcake. The cookbook cover boasts a bold statement declaring “sweet and salty recipes from New York’s Most Creative Bakery.” And if the bold flavour in this recipe is anything to go by, I’d say Ovenly has piqued my curiosity. After cracking the pistachios from their shells I ground them, releasing the nutty aroma throughout my kitchen. These cupcakes are iced with a decadent and luscious ganache. The chocolate pairs well with the pistachios. As a finishing touch, sprinkle some chopped pistachios onto the cupcakes for a colourful decoration.
These fresh and tasty treats are great for a celebration. And if you don’t have a specific occasion in mind, here are a few worthy of these delicious cupcakes: 1) End of Passover 2) New season of Game of Thrones 3) New month 4) New ice cream parlour La Diperie in Monkland Village 5) New Beyoncé**Completely mesmerized, I’ve had Beyoncé on replay since the release of Formation. Now that we have Lemonade, I’m obsessed. The amount of Beyoncé thinkpieces that have flooded my newsfeed is pretty ridiculous, but I’m still busy listening and watching on replay.
Recipe Source: Ovenly
Yields 12 cupcakes
1 cup ground pistachio meal
2 teaspoons fresh ground cardamom
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
zest of 1 lemon
3 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Dark Chocolate Ganache
8 ounces (approximately 1 cup) dark chocolate (60% cocoa content or higher), coarsely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 paper liners.
- Whisk the pistachio meal, cardamom, flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the sugar, butter, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium high speed, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the sour cream and vanilla. Mix until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the flour mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer, mixing on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake tin.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the tin to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Place the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the simmering cream over the chocolate. Set aside for 3 to 4 minutes, until the chocolate has melted.
- Whisk the butter into the chocolate mixture until smooth and shiny.
- Stir in the salt.
- Set the ganache aside to cool. You want it to be spreadable, not hard.
- Slather the ganache onto the cupcakes.