Curled up in my cozies at home with my cat and Lianne La Havas* music while writing up this recipe to share with you is proving to be a great antidote to Montréal’s freezing winds. I published a similar recipe for marbled cheesecake brownies almost 7 years ago. I remember loving those brownies, especially eating them straight from the fridge. These new brownies don’t have chocolate chunks, but I wanted to try them out since I trust Cook’s Illustrated and couldn’t resist the recipe when I saw it on their website. They are tangy and deeply chocolaty, so satisfying. Rather than adding dollops of the cheesecake filling to the brownie batter, this recipe calls for distinct layers that ensure a balance of flavours in each bite. We achieve the swirl on top by setting aside a small portion of the brownie batter to be added after the cheesecake layer. Mine weren’t quite ready at the 40 minute mark, but every oven is different. Best eaten cold!
*SO in love with her voice. I’ve been lucky enough to see her in concert 3 times. When will we get a new album??
Recipe Source: Cook’s Illustrated
Yields 16 portions
4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
½ cup sour cream
- Microwave the cream cheese until soft, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the sour cream, flour and sugar until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil with extra foil hanging over the edges.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture and stir until combined. Set the bowl aside for step #8.
- Fold the flour mixture into the batter.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the brownie batter into a bowl and set aside.
- pour the remaining brownie batter into the baking pan.
- Spread the cheesecake filling evenly on top of the brownie batter.
- Microwave the 1/2 cup of brownie batter from step #8 until warm and pourable, 10 to 20 seconds.
- Use a spoon to dollop the brownie batter over the cheesecake filling.
- Use a knife to swirl the brownie batter into the cheesecake filling for a marbled effect, 10 to 12 strokes.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the brownie part in the center of the pan comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let the brownies cool in the baking pan on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Remove brownies from baking pan and return them to the wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Slice the brownies into 2-inch squares.
Store brownies in the fridge.
Nutritional Information, per serving (serves 16):