The winter solstice, and with it the longest night of the year, is now behind us and these bright and fragrant almond and lemon squares are the perfect treat to celebrate more daylight. I love that this recipe has no crust. The almond balances out the acidity of the citrus really well. No puckering of the lips or squinting of the eyes with these subtle squares. They received rave reviews from my family. Cheers to bright and sunny days ahead!
Recipe Source: Trois fois par jour
Yields 16 portions
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Use a food processor to mix the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, butter, almond paste and almond extract together until smooth and well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a medium-sized bowl and stir in the flour and sugar.Transférer dans un bol, puis ajouter le sucre et la farine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Use a small sieve to sprinkle icing sugar onto the almond & lemon squares.
- Slice into 16 squares.
Store in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for 3-4 days.